Monday, September 29, 2008

Jenas To Capello: I'm No Benchwarmer


Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas has expressed his frustration at being a "squad player" for England, revealing that he is desperate to earn a starting berth...

You can count on one hand the number of starts Jenas has tallied in his five-year-old international career.

With the likes of Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and David Beckham well ahead of him in the pecking order, the 25-year-old has earned most of his 20 caps as a second-half substitute.

Tired of sitting on the pine, the former Newcastle player hopes to convince England boss Fabio Capello that he is worthy of a place in the first team.

“I love playing for England. But I don’t want to be a squad player who sits on the bench every time,” Jenas told News of the World.

“I get so frustrated — I am a human being who feels that it’s a good shout sometimes to be angry and never be happy unless I am in the team. If Fabio Capello wants to put me on the on the left wing, or centre midfield, I am more than happy.”

With Tottenham lying last in the Premier League after six winless games, one may be forgiven for writing off the Nottingham native's comments as very wishful thinking.

But Capello has repeatedly stated that the calibre of a player's club means little to him when it comes to selecting his squad, and Jenas hopes the Italian will stay true to his word - although he knows an upswing in Spurs' performances will only help.

“I reckon that if I keep working hard and Tottenham’s results improve I will get my chance,” he added. 

“Capello is definitely a manager who has shown that if you playing well for your club, you are in with a shout.” 

England will resume World Cup qualifying when they host Kazakhstan on October 11.

0 comments:

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Subscribe in Rojo

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to The Free Dictionary

Subscribe in NewsAlloy

Add to fwicki

Add to Attensa

Add English Football Fans to ODEO

Add to Pageflakes

  © Blogger template Fishing by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP